Wednesday, September 14, 2011

For Love of the River

O, sweet Blog! I've neglected you once again. Please accept this small token of apology: a Blog Entry.

This is a song I wrote on the banks of the Salmon River in Idaho, on august 5th...


a half-moon winks above me
The wild river crashes below
Trains go bellowing past us in my memory,
The sight of them out of your little window

Unsafe on a riverbank in Idaho
Don’t let the wolves trace your scent
The sea wasn’t ready to let us go
I couldn’t tell you Love was what I meant

Drown your eyes and damage your lungs
Fill your belly with liquor and glass
You’re clinging to a ladder of watery rungs,
it disappears into the tides of the past

Your kiss still on my lips,
You’re curling your fingers ‘round the mountainside
Roused from slumber by my favorite lover
I have half a wretched mind to stay inside,
Under the covers with you
as you dissolve me with your fingertips

Deciphering dreams in a darkened haze,
a voice is calling out among the pines
I’d not let you go for days and days
Exploring the curves of this tender maze
The sun pours its light on your lovely face
and I drown beneath your gaze

There’s water all upon us
at an unspoken hour
Our soft laughter as we overlook the river
You are soaking wet and lovely
as you send me into shivers
Close your eyes and sink yourself into me
Beneath the moon, below a tree

No comments:

Post a Comment