Thursday, March 18, 2010

Music, Plants, Jobs, Pictures

Spent most of the day yesterday playing music with my ljuibov. He's teaching me a klezmer tune called Hongo en Freylehks and I'm teaching him one of my diddies, and showed him Hava Nagila yesterday too...dudes, accordion and banjo are meant for each other. It's no joke. When I've got Hongo en Freylehks down I'm going to teach it to my roommate Dawn, who plays the flute. So excited!

The other night I went out with my roommates and Adam to see the Inheritance, with Amanda (formerly of Adam's band) on accordion, Roy (also of Adam's band) on clarinet and Bruce on guitar. Super awesome! They have a residence at the East Side Show Room which is relatively close to me. I also got to drink while I was there which was staggeringly awesome (21 in three months). Then we went down the street to Rio Rita and I drank more gin and tonics and we listened to an old time music jam with a couple of banjos, a few guitars, several fiddlers and a harmonica player. I think a guy with a mandolin sat down toward the end as well. I can't even express how happy the night made me. It's so nice to have stuff to go out and do that is enjoyable and not expensive (well, except for my drinks). In Orange County there was never any music I was interested in seeing and in Austin there is so much I don't know what to do with myself! Adam's band is playing at Flipnotics on Sunday, and there's an all-accordion showcase there next Saturday I believe. Adam and I also plan on playing together once I get more secure with his songs/vice versa. Will definitely start out playing on the streets...but I'm so excited! I feel so much less stagnant now that I have songs to learn and things to focus on instead of just idling around when I play. And I definitely feel like I'm improving which is also really rewarding.

I got a card from my aunt in the mail today that was a "Happy Easter" card, which I don't normally relish, but she sent me a couple of seed packets too! I planted six petunia and six daisy seeds in an egg carton that I'm keeping in my window until I can transplant them. My roommates and I have been taking care of our little vegetable garden and it is so adorable and happy! The plants are getting really big and I can't wait till summer when we can make big salads with them.

I still don't have a steady part-time job but I'll be handing out more resumes on Saturday. Till then, I have three or four paying shoots in April plus one at the end of March, and a research study for Camel Snus that pays $425. Uh, did I mention I applied to be a magician's assistant too?!?! I saw an ad on craigslist and jumped at the chance to respond to it. The magician emailed me back asking for photos, so I went outside with my sweet roommate Olivia Brown, who shoots weddings and portraits beautifully, and now I have lots of nice, family-friendly photos to send off to him. Sweet Jesus, I hope I get the job! I'd be on tour through Arizona, California, and Colorado for two weeks and get paid $800, plus eat and sleep for free, and get to see the Grand Canyon and all kinds of cool stuff. Things have just been so wonderful here; I have never been so consistently happy.

Onward and upward!

Photos by Adam.




Soulmates!

No comments:

Post a Comment